Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Top Ten Adult Fetes

Top Ten Tuesday at Many Little Blessings
I love making lists. Lists make me happy in so many ways. I don't know about you guys but making a list is almost as much fun as checking them off for me.

This week my top 10 is the 'top 10 things I have learned to do with one arm'. Some do know, many do not, that I broke my arm four weeks ago. I have been the 'one armed bandit' now for a while and there are some things I learned to do well one-handed.



1. I have learned to open childproof medicine bottles one-handed. All you have to do is brace it between your hip and the edge of your counter, press in, and turn the cap with your thumb and pointer finger. It was actually pretty easy to do once I figured that out.

2. Using the same sort of tactic, I have been able to do quite a bit of cooking one-handed. Most seasoning containers can be opened in this manner.

3. Peanut butter jars, jelly jars, and things of that size can easily be open by gripping the main container with your legs and turning with your hand.

4.  I have also become quite proficient at using the restroom one-handed. If you think this is an easy task, I challenge you to put a sock over your left hand today and go to the bathroom using one hand only ;-)

5. Getting dressed one-handed was the challenge. You have to learn to put your broken arm through that sleeve first and work the shirts/sweaters all the way down so that your head can fit through the head opening easily.

6. Brushing teeth one-handed is a challenge only at the point you have to put toothpaste on your toothbrush. You have to balance your toothbrush on the counter with the bristles pointing up and carefully place toothpaste on the phone without knocking it over ;-)

7. I have also learned to put my seatbelt on one-handed. Again you should give this a try sometime over a casted arm ;-)

8. I have learned how to wash up one-handed, my tactic is called "husband"  (come on, that was kind of funny right?)

9. I have been able to figure out how to drive one-handed, but it really is uncomfortable, and so I don't go long distances yet. Just driving the kids to various activities and dropping a vehicle off for repairs. All close by!

10. It is cheating really, but the way in which I blog or type one-handed is simple. Our new school Mac computer has the dictation software already installed. So I am speaking on my screen and you are reading it ;-) Such amazing technology these days!!

2 comments:

  1. Kay,
    We must be kindred spirits -- I love lists soooo much and since having kids, I do most things one handed. Happy Tuesday!
    :-)
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traci that is awesome! You are right about parenting one-handed, but look at this ridiculous cast around is giving me a new appreciation for one handed accomplishment ;-)

      Delete