Friday, January 13, 2012

Weekly Review Jan 13

In our homeschool this week…

We studied Joshua's leadership and the conquest of Canaan this week.  Our very own Joshua was quite excited about all his grand accomplishments.  It was a lighter reading week, so we had some life lessons at the local GoodWill and a couple consignment shops.  I also started getting our fall list of books ready and I get the kids involved while we are making these lists.  I hope it helps them 'own' their education a bit.

I am inspired by…

I have to share this blog post!!  This delightful mother of 6 has created a system for getting her kiddos to pick up!!  Go check her out at Madsens Memories.  I can't wait to implement this!

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

We have two children with December birthdays and they never get parties in that month.  Tonight my oldest is having his birthday party.  I am excited, he rarely gets to spend time with these friends because none of them are home schooled.  He is quite excited as well.  The house looks amazing, I just hope I don't bomb his cake.  He asked me for a battle scene from Star Wars, Lego version.  Yipes, right?? I know!!

What is working/not working for us...

This week we had one of those moments with the girl child.  She looked me in the eye and told me that school was lame and stupid.  I put her to work on her math and called Daddy.  I relayed the story to him and reacted "She just doesn't get that not having an education will funnel her into a janitorial job, or house cleaning."  Hubby wisely responded, "Do it."

So I sat down with daughter, explained to her the importance of education, why we are doing things this way, and gave her the option to sit down and happily do  her work....or she could choose to experience a day in the life of a janitor.  My daughter chose janitor.

6 1/2 hours later I had shining bathrooms, clean floors, walls and doors that were clean, and a very tired girl.  She told me around 4pm that she hated cleaning more than school    and the rest of our week went very well.  I am going to blog more about this whole thing because there were so many more complex emotions involved with this particular day.  This version was short and sweet.

Questions/thoughts I have…

Do you have a challenging child at home?  I have always struggled with my daughter.  Our personalities are quite opposite except for one things... stubbornness.  A friend of mine suggested some things to help me appreciate my daughter:
  1. noticing her efforts when she is trying in a positive way.
  2. Verbally praising her when she is behaving well or doing things I admire.
  3. Writing down the things I do appreciate about her where I can reference them on the bad days.
Do you guys have anything to add?  How do you manage a challenging child?

Things I’m working on…

We will be doing our Pinewood Derby cars soon. This year we are going to make them 'for real' instead of getting a kit last-minute. We have a friend with tools who can help us do some cutting and such. I found a great article concerning tips and such for making cars go fast ;-) You can check them out here at Monthly Test Drive.

I’m praying for…

For my middle sister and her pregnancy.  She is just 4 weeks away from her first-born, a boy.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…

0 comments:

Post a Comment